Chosen carefully, a postgraduate degree can enhance your career prospects. But you need to consider if costs, together with all the hard work involved, will really give you added value, and therefore prove to be a good investment.
Take time to seriously review your reasons for studying, and research opportunities before applying.
The range of postgraduate study options available shows that further study is central to a range of careers.
Because you will:
- increase your knowledge
- gain a qualification
- improve your career by deepening your knowledge
- change your career by gaining skills in a new area
- increase earning potential
When not to study…
Don’t commit yourself to a postgraduate programme just because you’re not sure what else to do. Any big investment requires solid thought and understanding. You need to research the subject area you’re interested in as well as the options it will open up for you. You should be able to find info and guidance from:
- the university where you took your first degree
- professional bodies allied to your proposed career
- careers services local to you – they should be able to put you in touch with any specialist advice you are seeking
Interested in finding out more about your postgraduate options?
Keep up-to-date by signing up to receive email updates. We’ll send you topical information on all things postgraduate, including information from other students who’ve already been through the process.